Sunday, September 18, 2011

FIDA Resident DJ Vanita shares her FIDA picks of the week!

Her ear for music is impeccable.  With roots in Detroit "Motor City" Michigan, home of the Motown Sound, Vanita Wilson-Andrews' musical tastes extended beyond the average uptempo R&B Dance music listener/dancer.  Her fiery, passionate, cool yet calculated persona effervesces through her music telling a woman's story within the male dominated DJ environment.  However, Vanita never sacrifices her femininity in her presentation.  She share with us songs from FIDA that spoke to her heart, songs that found her often times in her "claimed" corner next to the DJ booth in the attic back at 618 Fulton, transporting her back to a moment on her journey.

1. Wind Parade - Donald Byrd - Places And Spaces - UA 1975
"This makes me feel light as a feather when I'm twirling on my toes.  This semi-instrumental takes me into a meditative state when I'm in a corner dancing all by myself.  And, I live for the soft melodic vocals that compliment each instrument.  What more could a dancer ask for!"





2. Free Love (Monster Club Mix)  Juliet Roberts - Reprise - 1993
"This song is special to me because of what's expressed through her vocals.  I first heard this track in 1993 at Club Zanzibar.  The intro really caught my ear, 'Hey yeah, sing it! Hey yeah, sing it! There ain't no other one that can make me feel the way doooooo...ewwwwwww!  I was hooked on this song ever since!"





3. I Can't Turn Around - Isaac Hayes - Chocolate Chip - ABC 1975
"This song is just....smh!  It's just a fierce work out song for me, especially if you have someone who knows how to play it, bring it back and extend it again!  Playing with the volume when the song hits its climax ahhhhhhhh! I just lose it!  LOL!  DJ Earon gave us a fierce rendition at a FIDA session over 6 years ago."






4. Space Princess - Lonnie Liston Smith - Columbia 12 - 1978
" This just takes me back to when I was very young.  I grew up listening to funk, jazz, rock, R&B, etc....just hearing the bass guitar and the other instruments prompts me to "carry" with the foot work on the dance floor like none other!   While the lead vocalist sings in my ear, 'I can feel you floating just beyond my fingertips...' Yesssss!"






5. Mama Said (Straight Ahead Mix) - Carleen Anderson - Virgin EP - 1994
"This is my little favorite sing along.  I can identify with the lyrics because I've lived this story!  So, when I hear it, all I can do is grab my head & locs and just sing along."

These songs, like the many songs I love, represent the freedom to express myself through dancints, twirling, floor work, extentions, and singing.  Since I was 5 years old, music has always taken me away from the stresses of life!  My life!  I once heard a very wise music historian say, "One thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain!" (Robert Nester Marley).  I concur.

1 comment:

  1. very nice,i really like your information. Very useful informations. Thx
    คาสิโน

    ReplyDelete