Thursday, April 28, 2016

Dance Music's Ultimate Preservationist - Mr. X (Alvaro)!


By Christopher Flowers
If there ever was a true and loyal champion for the unsung heroes and heroines of Soulful House Music, it would be none other than Mr. X (Alvaro).  His deep and passionate love for the music and sincere dedication to it and its culture is untainted and comes with no hidden agenda.  Whatever he has done within the realm of music, it has always been of a high caliber and very professional; never gaudy, outlandish or just plain CRAZY!    Mr. X (Alvaro) created and hosted (along with his partner, Mike Wright) a live internet video broadcast show on Axiom TV at Axiom Studios located in the Ironbound section of Newark, NJ in the mid 2000's.  Known on the show as the 2 Travelers, their  Soulful House Music program had ratings that went through the roof!  Their widely received show featured guest DJ's (they also were on the decks), recording artists and dancers; however, among the most effective parts of the program were the interviews conducted by Mr. X (Alvaro).   With his boyish good looks and cool charm, it was evident that he had pinpoint accuracy depth of knowledge of whomever he was interviewing, handling the interviewee with the utmost professionalism, tact and respect.   As one of the owners of Enuma Recordings, he has (like a lot of us who had set their sights on following the dream of creating the music we love) fought to climb that all to often rickety ladder to a level where hard work produces exceptional material and the accolades, as well as, whatever monetary compensation that comes with it.    As a DJ, his Deep House sets (especially the vocals recordings) are poetic, heartfelt and endearing. The majority of his selections within his sets are those beautiful vocal House tunes that somehow got lost in the shuffle amid the more familiar and popular dance floor hits.  His current venture, the "free" Essential party along with his partner, the very underrated DJ/Producer, Ceasar Kelley located in the Afro Brazilian Cultural Center in Bloomfield, NJ, they have delivered (to those who care) a quarterly slice of musical heaven on earth.   I finally got a chance to have a somewhat "virtual" sit down (not in real time) with Mr. X (Alvaro) as he shares with FIDA his life inside the music.


Chris Flowers - Where are you from?

Alvaro (Mr. X) - I was born in Ecuador in a small town called Ambato.

CF  - Your love of music, especially Dance music is evident, when did you realize that hey, 'I'm hooked" moment?

Alvaro (Mr. X) - Let me think…it all started when we came to the US from Ecuador in 1979.  Landing in Newark NJ, for our first few years we lived in Elizabeth, NJ on Smith Street.   We had to adjust to this new land, language, culture, traditions and people.  During these years, my dad used to take us on trips in his car.   I don’t recall the model of his car, but I do recall the radio and the stations.   Although we were still learning the language, we came across certain songs that my aunts would play in Ecuador…Donna Summer, Michael Jackson, Rock Music, etc.   My uncle who owned the house that we lived in would also blast music in his car.   I remember listening to 92 WKTU Paco’s midday mix and the battle of the Disco DJ’s…that really got my interest.  I remember making sure we recorded all of those sets.   There were DJ’s like "The Animal", "The Dynamic Duo", Hippie Torrales and many others.   I was intrigued at how they went from one song to another, it sounded amazing.   Then there was WBLS 107.5 & 98.7 KISS-FM and all of their mixes.   This was during the time that my older brother Santi was in high school and his friends from school showed him what mixing was.  They would come over our apartment and practice mixing.  Later, my brother and his friends put a crew together…as this was thing to do back in the day.  They called themselves "The Disco Express".  So, when they weren’t around, I was practicing Djing.  They started to do mobile gigs and renting out venues to throw parties. One year they got the opportunity to do the annual Cuban Feast on Elizabeth Avenue in Elizabeth that was inside the Mini Mall which was basically a parking space that was turned into a "disco" for the feast. We gathered all of our friends and equipment and filled that venue up with four corners of towering speakers, lights etc.  Richie Mojica was one of our sound engineers.  The place was packed for the 3 nights it took place.  It was there that I mixed my first records and got a glimpse of the magical setting music plays on everyone.  Right after, that I started to do events on my own with my friends Rich & Rey.   We were known as "The Modern Mechanical Men" and they blessed me with my DJ name, Mr. X and I kept it since then.  That was 1983.  We were battling different crews at  Rutgers University and other places and renting out venues all over Elizabeth as well.

CF - How did the love of DJing and music play itself out between you and your brother Santi as two DJ’s in the same house?

Alvaro (Mr. X) – It was interesting because my brother use to stay up with my dad and uncles when we had parties in Ecuador. Ever since he was little you can say he was drawn to how records were played. Also, our grandfather was a great musician. He had a group that played typical Ecuadorian music of that time. When we got here, we were both into the mixes. We went record shopping in Union City, New York etc, he always included me in his events and that’s how I stayed involved with the scene. I love my brother; he has not only been my teacher, but a fan.  He is by far one of the smoothest disco classics DJ’s I have ever heard.  If it wasn’t for him and his friends coming over, I don’t think I would have ever been a DJ.   Musically, we’ve come a long way and respect and appreciate each others talents.   It’s great to have a jam at our houses and share music between us.  He would pull out something rare (disco style) and I’ll pull out something on the house side. (If my brother’s in trouble so am I!!!!).

CF - Did you do parties together?

Alvaro (Mr. X) - Yes we have.  Before we launched our record label, we did the local Elizabeth spots and especially when we took a chance and released Enuma Recordings.   We were blessed with doing gigs together, as a matter of fact; we were a featured label at ThinkSoul music industry parties, Love, etc.  He recently joined us at Essentials.  You can follow both of us on mixcloud:  SantiJDiscoExpress & A1varo/Essentials.


CF -  You used to work at a very popular record store in Elizabeth, NJ called Alwick's.   People from all over NJ used to frequent the store.   When did you start there and how has that helped you in your music career?

Alvaro (Mr. X) - A sincere thanks to Rick Brown for hiring me. When I started at Alwick’s, I was doing parties around Elizabeth NJ. I wanted to learn about owning a record store so working at the store was the next step.  I recall shopping at both record stores in Elizabeth (Vogel's & Alwick's) and all the NYC stores as well.  Alwick’s allowed me to stay current with the dance music and to have access to other genres.  I also learned how Rick would get a list of new releases from the distributors and place orders.   Prior to that, I had no idea the role a distributor played and how influential they were to pushing a certain song/track.   I remember on Thursdays and Fridays, we would get new imports and albums aside from the major labels releasing their 12inch singles.   I was learning more about the business and new music aside from what I was already playing at parties.   Although I knew some of the local DJ’s, I was getting to meet more.  I was developing friendships that are still very strong, like my brother Rahbu , Kevin and yourself (sorry If I forget to name all of the others). Funny thing is that my other brother John Pasko was working down the other Alwick’s by the McDonald’s. John was a DJ first and foremost prior to becoming a sound engineer.


 
Mr. X - Alwick's Records, Elizabeth, NJ (1989)
In the store, Rick would play his mixed cassettes and I enjoyed his style. He allowed me to demo my mixes giving people a little glimpse of my talent.  This is where I also came across you (Chris Flowers) and Tamir Clarke.
  After some time Tamir asked me to guest at the parties he was doing and eventually became one of his main DJ’s alongside with Warren Soul Fingers.   This is around the time that Underground Dreams flourished. I met Anthony Wiggins and a few others doing this event. He later opened up a club in Newark called the Playhouse (I think) DJ’s were Jihad Muhammed, Nick Jones, and me (Mr. X) as well as Anetra working the door.  A 14 year old Dave Tobon, joined Alwick’s later and we struck an instant friendship.  Dave asked me to teach him how to mix and we would spend a few hours in my basement developing his skill.  So Alwick’s allowed me to move forward as a DJ and developed wonderful relationships. Plus, we (Chris and I) would spend many hours listening to imports and domestics and you would share your stories of what happened at Club Zanzibar the night before and all your clubbing ventures.


CF – Ooooh yes!  I used to work at Zanzibar at that time (1988-1990). I would come to the store after leaving Zanzibar on Sunday afternoon (Sometimes I would be hanging out with Tony Humphries as he was doing his mixshow for KISS-FM and listening to the demos he had received that night) and telling you about what he played.  You always kept me at least two weeks behind Tony with the latest imports.

Alvaro (Mr. X) – That was the other reward in working at Alwick’s. It was like a school; everyone shared their musical experiences about the clubs they went to and how a particular song made them feel.  I had a friend named Francis that would come in and describe every little detail that Larry Levan did with the sound the night before. You can sense that excitement and un-explainable joy he had describing his experience at the Garage. There was also DJ Mike McKnight doing a Sunday event on Elizabeth Ave (Level's) so he would stop by for a few records prior to his event.  I loved helping them find that mystery song that their favorite DJ played.  People would come in with cassettes of the KISS-FM mix and wonder what is this that Tony is playing or what is that song that Merlin Bobb or Timmy Regisford are running with that vocal?  Or customers would hum a piece of a song and say…. "Man, Tony was rocking this beat and it went like this … do you have it? Tony was rocking that bass at Zanz!!!!"   I also learned to develop my style of picks.   It was nice to know that strangers/DJ’s would feel comfortable with my choice of music as they would ask me to just give them a pile of records. Very rarely did anyone come back and return anything I picked for them (lol).
But don’t forget I was also worked at Random Access during the weekends.  My friend Frank (aka Taravhonty) told me about the opportunity and I met with Vernon and they hired me.

CF – That I didn’t know, Wow!  I just ran into Vernon’s girlfriend at the train station (4/1/16)!!! How did you meet Taravhonty?    That’s “Join Hands” Taravhonty, correct?  That was such a big tune at Zanzibar.

Alvaro (Mr. X) – While doing local parties, I had a friend name Johnny Feliciano who was a big Garage head. After high school he went to Jersey City State College to play football.  I believe he was pledging for a fraternity there and one of the brothers was Frank (Taravhonty). He told me Frank was looking for a DJ to do all the Fraternity’s parties so he introduced us and we have been brothers since that day.   Frank later told me about his production work and started to offer me some jobs.   He had a production company named Studio 4 that released a few EP’s one was with T-Solomon.  There was one opportunity that I declined.  Frank was telling me about this new record label about to open and that they were looking for new DJ’s/producer. He said my friend Gladys had an opening and if I wanted to join her label. I said no thanks, later that label turned out to be Strictly Rhythm Records!  Frank later told me about the opportunity at Random Access and I met with Vernon. I was brining in some imports from the city to sell at his store. Vernon is a great guy and DJ.   I’ve been trying to get him to come out and join us.   Random was a great experience for me and it also helped me and exposed me to more people.  While working at Random, I came across Tony V, Ceasar Kelley to name a few.  Big shout out to Vernon and the Random crew, they are the best !!!!


 CF - What were some of the noteworthy venues/parties you've played at?

Alvaro (Mr. X) - I must say every single party/venue that I ever played at was noteworthy.  Every single one was a learning experience and a blessing.   Tamir (Eric) let me do my thing and exposed me via Underground Dreams, Play Ground, Zanzibar and other venues and I was still doing stuff around Elizabeth’s venues, as well as, NYC clubs like Cheetah, Ohm, Love, Octagon, Remy Lounge.   You may not know this, but I was also doing Latin events at the Ceasar's Resort in PA and few NYC venues.

CF – Really, when did you do this?

Alvaro (Mr. X) – This started when I moved to the Pocono’s probably 14 years ago. I needed to find something to do out there and came across this Spanish restaurant that was looking to start up a Friday night dance thing. So I started to play more Latin stuff mixed with my music. It took off with the help of a good promoter. She knew exactly what the Pocono’s needed and soon enough we were doing a club called The Edge. This allowed me to dig deep into my Latin side and find some gems. I was playing more Descargas(Descargas is an improvised jam session consisting of variations on Cuban music themes, primarily son montuno, but also guajira, bolero, guaracha and rumba.[1] The genre is strongly influenced byjazz and it was developed in Havana during the 1950s.) - Wikipedia. 


The event grew very strong that we got the opportunity to do an all Latin event with bands and dancers at the Ceasar’s Palace in the Pocono’s.  That opened doors for me to do a few salsa socials (a salsa social is a gathering for all levels of salsa dancers to try out/show off their moves in a private setting). People bring food, drinks and you come as you are just to dance. The music must be on point.

CF - When did you start Enuma Recordings?    What were some of the releases?

Alvaro (Mr. X) - Enuma Recordings came about in 2002.   Our releases were: Divine Inspiration, Gianni’s Love, La Melodia, Touched and Sunlight.   La Melodia got picked up by Warner Bros. France for a compilation on Nikki Beach Music CD.    Sunlight got licensed to R2 recordings.   We did a song called “Crazy” feat. Steven Grate written by yourself that is unreleased.

CF – Yes I remember that song and those recording sessions.  We did that with Wayne Gardiner and your partner.   What was his name?  I would love to do that song over with Steven.   So, what happened to the label?

Alvaro (Mr. X) – Yes, my dear friend and brother Anthony Mariquit.  That project (Enuma Recordings) was very special as it was put together with my dear close friends.   The label is in sleep mode right now as times changed, industry got weird and vinyl eventually took a back seat.  
What we first projected to work did not and by our 3rd release we knew we had to sit back and see how this industry would unfold.   Ask any producer and they will tell you the same, things have changed drastically.   It’s a virtual world of production now and distribution as well as licensing is very thin with even thinner pay.

CF – You’re absolutely correct.  But the strange thing is, in this current state of dance music, people are still making soulful dance songs and I hear vinyl is making a comeback.   I don’t know if the returns are still worth the investment but the product keeps on comin’.

Alvaro (Mr. X)Yes, I’ve seen a few albums at places like FYE and trendy spots in malls. I’m sure it’s more for the collector/nostalgia or sound aficionado out there and not for mass production to revive the vinyl industry.   I just think that the majority of this younger generation is too stuck in a non-personal involvement era.  What I mean is, people would rather text “hello” than call you and speak to you. Everything is at their fingertips so to speak. So, why travel to a store, why speak to people and why try to grow a community?  We had no cell phones back then, we did what we had to do to get to our clubs, record stores or strike up a conversation somehow.  This music will always be produced, no doubt about that.  The issue is that we are letting it die. We are slowly contributing to its own separation and pushing it to stay how it began as underground as possible. Only a few places are trying to keep it alive musically, spiritually and as family.  Events like Humble Beginnings, FIDA (Private) and Essentials. You get a sense of family, togetherness and full musical beauty. It’s a shame that some established/up and coming DJ’s/producers s are too jealous, on a high note or just care about their name and the business side of things. But it’s understandable as once has to make a living somehow. Too much to discuss on this topic Chris.

CF - Didn't you have a single on Maxi Records?

Alvaro (Mr. X) - Yes, as a matter of fact, you were the first person to review it…so thank you. 

CF –   Wow!  Really?  I probably was writing for the Underground News at the time.  It was a great tune.

Alvaro (Mr. X) – Yes, that was the magazine. While I was attending The Institute of Audio Research, I connected with some classmates.   They were working on a project for Next Plateau Records and a release for Maxi Records.   They invited me to join and we collaborated on this song called “The Mood” by The Dream Generation.   We sampled some Bobby McFerrin pieces behind a very moody track.  We worked on a few things for Next Plateau and released an album.


 CF – Now that I didn’t know.   How did the album do? 

Alvaro (Mr. X) – It was my first real production work and I was behind the scenes so to speak.  Lee and Steve were extremely talented so that album did well.   It has some great deep, moody tracks.   It was called State Of Mind 1992 on Next Plateau Records. They also come out with a follow up album called The African Dream on Eightball Records 1994.

CF - Why did you stop producing music? 

Alvaro (Mr. X) - I produce every day in my head. I am always listening and mashing things up together.   I’ve been focused on life and its events (that sounds like an excuse) but it’s not.   A few years ago another friend reached out to me and we put together Friends4House.Com (after Axiom).   We collaborated on some ideas that have not realized yet.   You see, production is one of those things that need time if you want to make sure you leave a decent product behind.   It’s devotion and sucks your time and creativity out of you.    I just don’t want to do bits and pieces anymore; I want to really come back for the stay if I produce.    It’s also difficult to find talented singers and musicians that see and feel music the same way you do.

CF – This is so true.   Sometimes it happens by the grace of the Most High God, other times if he doesn’t will it so, it won’t happen.  That’s just my belief.    Nonetheless, you have a very discriminating taste in music, especially House Music, what is it about the Deep House vocal stuff, melodic, sweet and moody that touches your spirit?

Alvaro (Mr. X) - I’m sorry but I don’t like the word discriminating.   I’m just a sucker for that sentimental feel certain songs give from Jazz, to Latin to 40’s, Disco, House, etc.  I think certain songs find me, they reach out to me and I’m just not afraid to play them.   I started noticing this when I would make cassettes for myself, I was choosing songs that truly hit my heart and soul.   When somebody else would ask me for one, I would steer more towards the harder/newer stuff.   You were one of the few that knew about my smoother, jazzier side. 

CF – That’s another reason why we got along so well, I grew up in a Jazz household, my dad was a jazz aficionado to the zillionth power.   I loved all of that deep, jazzy House music.
  
Alvaro (Mr. X) – I did not know that Chris. Wow, that’s very interesting but I did get a chance to hear and see some of the Jazz tunes you’ve collected when you played with us  at Essentials. Jazz is so fundamental in music. I make it a point to play some Jazz pieces as they sound so beautiful on a big system and I want to open the minds of our friends during our first hour.  I get some good compliments on the pieces that’s I’ve featured.   During the late 80’s/early 90’s there was a flux of downtempo and Acid Jazz, Jazz House jams that were simply beautiful.   Also, House Music artists were releasing full length albums that included their hits but also had some lush, simply inspiring lyrics/arrangements.  As I played my tapes in the record store, people started asking me, "What’s that song?  Where did you get that?  It’s beautiful."  This is when I made my choice to always play from the heart.   Many times I would just go to my basement, turn the lights off and get lost in songs like Bas Noir’s, “We’ll Find Love”,  “Beautiful Love” by Adeva, or Mr. Fingers, “What About This Love”, “Never No More Lonely” by Fingers Inc. or Stevie Wonder’s, “Overjoyed” , there are just too many to list.   Do you remember coming to my basement and recording your version of "You Saved My Day by Mr. Fingers?

CF - Ssssssh!  Don't tell everything!
 
Alvaro (Mr. X) - Or spending hours listening to Adeva’s full album and all that Acid Jazz/Down tempo imports?   It was all great stuff Chris and we are still at it!!

 CF – OMG!  Yes we are.  It's unbelievable!   “What About This Love” by Mr. Fingers is one of my FAVORITE deep Vocal House tunes!   I can’t dance off it.  When Tony Humphries used to play that, me and a dear clubhead friend of mine, Sonja Grier, we would stand in the middle of Club Zanzibar’s dance floor; eyes closed and let the song permeate our very being.

Alvaro (Mr. X) – Exactly Chris, that what I feel every single time I play that song. And that’s the power of music!@@ This is what I tried to show other DJ’s that would ask me to teach them how to mix, aside from working the pitch I would always say, “You must feel the song first, DJing is a feeling.”  During college, I also got the opportunity to meet Bobby Konders and actually went to the station a few times and mixed on a few of his shows.  Afterwards, he would take me to this party called Friends.  I don’t recall the DJ but the music was Loft style a lot of Jazz and rare tunes. This also helped me identify certain songs that I had no idea existed, and it made me search deeper for more musical gems.


CF – Bobby Konders…interesting.   He came in the House Music scene from the Reggae world and rocked NYC & the House World for a minute and bounced.   His impact was awesome.   What was it like hanging out with him and playing on his show?  He had a radio mix show on WBLS, right?

Alvaro (Mr. X) – I was doing some research for a class and called WBLS about it. Next thing I know, it was Bobby Konders and he asked me to come to his show to discuss further. I took my brother a few times then my friend Danny Eugene (you know him as well Chris). He was this cool, easy going tall white guy who had a Jamaican flair to himself.  It was so exciting for me!  I came back a few times and had told him about me DJing as well, so one time he was like, "Okay...get some mixes on."  It was him who got me to love reggae/dance hall and I thought he was very brave to split his show in that manner.  I did speak to him many years later and he told me he had sold all of his club music and realized he was not making money doing that genre. He is all about Reggae now.


CF - How did Two Travelers at Axiom Studios in Newark, NJ come about?  What was its premise?  Did you accomplish what you set out to do with Two Travelers?

Alvaro (Mr. X) - I met Mike Wright while working at Merrill Lynch.   My DJ partner at that time (Anthony Mariquit) and I were doing Thursday after work events at Remy Lounge. Tony knew Angel & Mike (Slam Mode) and they introduced us to Wayne Gardiner. This is where we started producing for our label Enuma Recordings under Sinister Concepts.  Mike attended one of our events and expressed the love of the music we were playing.  One thing led to another and we had him as a guest one night.  Our friendships grew tight with time,  he expressed wanting to learn how to produce.  So I introduced Mike to Wayne and 2 Travelers came together.  We were DJing around and doing a few guests.  My friend, John Pasko who was doing most of the sound installations at different venues kept telling me about Axiom as he was now doing some sound applications there.   He was telling me that they were looking for a few DJ’s to do their online shows. After some thought I presented the idea to Mike and well the rest took form.  This was the BEST time ever!!!  I got to do interviews, a format like a radio show and not just mix.  The response was huge for us.  For me, it was yet another platform to talk about the music and people I admired and loved.  It was a place to reach a younger audience who was also seeking knowledge about the music.


CF – So this brings us to your Essentials with Ceasar Kelly.  What made you want to start an event like Essentials?

Alvaro (Mr. X) - In all honesty, although I wasn’t going out as much to clubs or to listen to DJ’s I was still interviewing people for my Friends4House.com website.

CF – When did you start Friends4House?

Alvaro (Mr. X) – I would say around 2009.  My friend Arthur Haye had approached me about producing and doing some parties. He was looking for a platform to put up some mixes/interviews and generate some sort of following.  Friends4House was born. I was sitting down with great talent and just talking about the music industry and their involvement and point of view on things.  The more I spoke to different people, the more I was given an impression that most of the parties were lacking that substance of musical purity. One feels when something comes from the heart and what I was hearing was cloned events with a playlist that was just repetitive with no heart & soul. So the idea of Essentials came forth.


CF –The theme of Essentials was originally focusing on those "sleeper" and lost 80's and 90's tunes but later branched out...there's only so much you can play, correct?

Alvaro (Mr. X) - That premise has not changed at Essentials, there is so much music to play still.  Things just took form for itself, the venue felt right, our friends are open minded musically and we have the music.  
Elements are coming together and we are finding ourselves digging deeper and opening the door to more music.  We went from closing doors at 2am to creating these “magical hours” between 2 & 4am.   I don’t know what it is, but it’s the best time for us to get loose and play whatever we want!! And you guys love it!! 

CF – Oh yes, we do cut up in there.  It’s a nice collective of individuals who allow themselves to be free, free in body and in mind.   There’s no pretense.  That type of party goer is very, very rare these days.  In the current soulful dance music world, in this area, it seems like people go out for other reasons and have narcissistic agendas.  If that is the case, then there is something more going on in their lives.  The lack of unconditional love, true spirituality, contentment, joy, Godliness, humility, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control, especially these fruits of the spirit are missing.   If this is so, then these events or venues where people give off this energy are dark and wicked and I want no parts of that.   I don’t get that at Essentials and I pray I don’t ever give that type of energy at Essentials or anywhere else for that matter.

 Alvaro (Mr. X) –Thanks for the compliment Chris, It’s spirits such as yourself and our friends that come to our events such as Essentials, FIDA and Humble that understand what it is that we are trying to do. You have been doing FIDA for many years and you have been a teacher to some many about dance, music and culture Chris. You are a wealth of knowledge and don’t mind sharing it as long as the individual is pure. We hope that our energy is received by those who pass by our event and see it for what it is.  

CF - How long has Essentials been up and running?

Alvaro (Mr. X) – Ceasar and I actually did a one-off at the Coffee Cave around Thanksgiving of 2010.  We knew after that night it felt right, so we started searching for a venue to continue our vision.  We’ve been at The Afro Brazilian Cultural Center in Bloomfield, NJ since 2011 thanks to David Morgan for opening his doors to us.

CF - Why quarterly?

Alvaro (Mr. X) - We decided on quarterly because we did not want our friends to get bored of the concept.   We knew that not everyone would appreciate this event for what it is and could hurt the beauty of it by doing it monthly.   Plus we wanted them to miss it and have a longing feel for Essentials.

CF - When did you and Ceasar Kelly meet?  You guys work so well together.

Alvaro (Mr. X) – As I stated earlier, I met Ceasar back when I was working at Random Access.  We would run into each other from time to time and then he starting showing up at Axiom.  Anetra had asked both of us to be guest DJ’s @ Humble Beginnings, I think it may have been 2009. That night was magical for us and we both felt like we had something together. It was the first time Ceasar and I played together so thank you Anetra for getting us together.  I have tons of love and respect for Ceasar; he is one of my brothers.   I think we were cut from the same spirit or something.   Everything we wanted Essentials to be has come from the love and respect we have for one another and our friends that support us.    When something works well together, you just have to enjoy it and not question or change it.     He brings out the best in me musically and as a person. He is all giving and a genuine good spirit. It’s wonderful to hear people say, you and Ceasar are great guys and we appreciate what you give us in the form of Essentials.   Plus, we both know John Pasko our great friend and sound engineer, he gives that wonderful sound to the venue that helps us represent music in the manner that it should be.


CF - What challenges have you faced thus far with the event?

Alvaro (Mr. X) - To be honest, we wanted to keep it exclusive and more family/friends oriented.  We do not want a line around the corner, we want people who feel music just how we do.   So keeping this as simple as possible and not looking to make money or pack the place has helped us minimize any challenges.  But one must remember we don’t own the place and are always subject to the residents/circumstances around us.   Musically it can be challenging when programming for that night and bringing that surprise element.    Also, moving that equipment at 4:30am is a killer (we are not that young), but everyone stays behind and helps out. 

CF – I’m sure it is.   I wish I could stay, but, I’m older than all of you and the years of dancing has taken a toll on my body.   You see me dancing around like I’m still 20, but trust me, it takes a lot to do and by 4am, I’m done, worn out.  I’m sorry Mr. X.

Alvaro (Mr X)- Not a problem Chris, we know that you’ve poured many years on the Dance floor of Life. Enjoyment is seeing you and the rest of our friends dance and sing! Thankfully we have our brothers that stay behind and help us every single time. I must give them all much love and respect – John Pasko, Nocturnal DJ’s, Rahbu, T, Phyllis & Kim, Jamison, The Humble crew (for food and goodies).  For those that do not stay but come for the true essence of the music and what we stand for we also say THANK YOU! – Santi, Jesus, Silvio, Vanita, Polo, Renita, Kevin, Michael Watford, Spen, Tony V, UMM DJ’s Raheem Classik & QD Earl, George, Mike A, Tony & Stephanie Baker, Carlton & Edie Way, Yaminah....And specially my wife and kids for the love and support.  For those whose names have slipped my mind, I apologize but please know that we love you just as much.

CF – I’m shocked that the party is free? Why?  We’re all appreciative for sure…

Alvaro (Mr. X) - I was actually shocked to hear negative feedback as to why it’s a FREE event, but whatever.  Those individuals who look at this as something that they can just stick their head in and leave because it’s FREE…well then you are missing out on something wonderful.   We don’t force anyone to come. It’s word of mouth for our friends and souls that truly feel music and have no time for pretentious.  

CF – Exactly!

Alvaro (Mr. X) - FREE allows us not to be tied or limited to any musical format which is the most important thing for us.  We don’t have a bar tab to meet; we don’t need this place to be packed so we focus on the sound, music and positive vibrations.   We want our friends to feel at home, if you’re not dancing or singing then socialize or have a drink on us for FREE.   All we want is your love towards our musical choices and respect for the venue and others.   Spread Love!!!!!

CF - Why do you feel the need to be a dance music educator?

Alvaro (Mr. X) - Wow, I don’t consider myself a music educator.  I just like to talk about the issues and changes or challenges this genre faces.  I was here at a time when NJ/NYC was the IT place for dance music in all aspects.   I saw the very highs of many talented singers/producers/record business/clubs etc. I still can’t understand why the support has dwindled to almost nonexistence.  For those who keep the torch alive, well, it just seems to be all about self and competition.  What I say is from experience and passion, that’s what drives me to continue.


CF - Name some of the tunes you've dropped at Essentials?

Alvaro (Mr. X) - Too many...one only needs to attend and just listen.   But some highlights:

This Masquerade - George Benson (Warner Bros) 1976
Open Sesame -  Kool & the Gang (DeLite) 1976
And I Loved You - Satoshi Tomie  feat. Arnold Jarvis & Robert Owens (FFRR) 1990
Real Love - Driza Bone (4th & Broadway UK) 1991
Waterbed - LTG Exchange (Wand) 1974
Galaxy -  War (MCA) 1977
Crazy for You - Incognito (Talking Loud UK) 1991
Sun Goddess - Ramsey Lewis feat EWF (Columbia) 1974
You’re Someone Special - Mr. Fingers (Jack Trax UK) 1989
There’s Nothing Like This - Omar (Talking Loud UK) 1990
Love Will Find A Way - Lionel Richie (Motown) 1982

CF - How do you see Essentials growing?

Alvaro (Mr. X) - I hope that it keeps growing strong musical roots and that the new spirits that pass by recognize that this is not your normal event.  We want to spoil people with quality music, we want them to have a place to rejoice and sing.  Cry if you feel it, sing it if you know it, you are at home.  The rest is up to the universal powers.


 CF - So what in store for 2016 with Essentials?

Alvaro (Mr. X) - Only time will tell Chris, you never know what new paths life brings. But we hope to continue.  As long as our friends enjoy it, then we will try our best to be there.

Mr. X (Alvaro's) TOP TEN FAVORITE TUNES




1.  What About This Love - Mr. Fingers (Alleviated) 1989
This makes me cry.  “What about this love, girl please don’t turn your back on me. Seems it was all in vain, cause now what I have is pain. Thinking why I tried so hard and now you just disregard what we ever had.”




2.  Never No More Lonely - Mr. Fingers (Jack Trax UK import) 1986
 It’s an inspiring poem about a love so deep and tender. “You saved my day, Thank you baby. I’m never no more lonely.”



3.  Suspicious - Ten City  (Atlantic) 1988
Wow! The feel of this song so dark, so powerful. Those keys at the beginning and Byron’s vocal. "Ohh trust in me..Ohh I’ll trust in you…Suspicious!   (Note: It’s actually, Kenny Bobien and Eddie Stockley singing that intro phrase).



4.  Portuguese Love - Teena Marie (Gordy) 1981
What a song, the passion in her voice and music!!! “I ain't gonna let you go that easy, you’re gonna have to say you love me too.”






















 5.  Baby I’m Scared of You - Womack & Womack (Elektra) 1983
 A downtempo beauty. “Come if you got real love for me…Stay away if you got games and tricks for me.”








 


6.  Sentimentally It’s You - Theo Vaness (Prelude) 1979
This is Disco at its best. It reminds me of a great period in music. “Every part of my heart belongs to you…La la la la la la la la.”






















 
7.  Life Is Something Special - NYC Peech Boys (Island) 1982
"Because it’s true!!!"



8.   Heavy Love Affair (original version) - Marvin Gaye (Tamla) 1977
"What a groove!! “Look in your eyes and I see the lies but in my mind it’s a mystery. What are these strange emotions.. You got me looking for love!!!!”






















9.        Sweet Sensation - Stephanie Mills (20th Century) 1980
I used to love hearing this on the radio.  Stephanie has such great voice!   “Something strange came over me…Cause I never felt this way. I owe it all to you, and I just want to let you know that I’ll never let you go”























10.   Tomorrow - Tongue & Cheek (Syncopate UK import) 1989
This is one of the finest vocal imports of that time.  It’s a sleeper tune to most of us. “Just say that you won’t change your mind.”
















9 comments:

  1. Very,very interesting I learned alot...Thanks Chris for a thoughtful interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very,very interesting I learned alot...Thanks Chris for a thoughtful interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great read...two class acts...Yess yess yess...what about this love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great read...two class acts...Yess yess yess...what about this love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! Great information! I learned a lot from this great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting as well as profound!!!
    Truly njoyed this interview!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lotta history touched on here! Lot of insight and truth spoken. Great interview Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to personally thank Chris for posting a little something about me. We share a good amount of history, respect and love for this music. If you need more information about our Essentials dance event, e-mail us at
    Essentialshousemusic@mail.com
    Our next event will be on June 18th 2016
    Alvaro.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you have a solution!!It’s really a great information to me.this content I have got lots of ideas.
    928bet

    ReplyDelete